Publications in Refereed Journals:
- Left Behind Voters, Anti-Elitism and Popular Will (with Benoit Crutzen and Otto Swank) Quarterly Journal of Political Science (Accepted)
- Showing Off or Laying Low? The Economics of Psych-outs (with Philipp Denter and John Morgan), American Economic Journal: Microeconomics (2022) Vol. 14, No. 1, February, pp. 529-80. Short summary
- The Ponds Dilemma, (with John Morgan and Felix Várdy), The Economic Journal (2018) Vol. 128, No. 611, June, pp. 1634-1682.
- Do People Who Care About Others Cooperate More? Experimental Evidence from Relative Incentive Pay, (with Pablo Hernandez and Dylan Minor), Experimental Economics (2017) Vol. 20, No. 4, December, pp. 809–835.
- Head Starts in Dynamic Tournaments?, (with Philipp Denter) Economics Letters (2016) Vol. 149, December, pp. 94-97.
- Aspiring to Succeed: A Model of Entrepreneurship and Fear of Failure, (with John Morgan) Journal of Business Venturing (2016) Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 1-21. (press coverage by bloomberg.com and forbes.com, short video interview by the Canadian Innovation Center)
- Strategic and Natural Risk in Entrepreneurship: An Experimental Study, (with John Morgan, Henrik Orzen and Martin Sefton) Journal of Economics & Management Strategy (2016) Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 420-454.
- Do Polls Create Momentum in Political Competition?, (with Philipp Denter) Journal of Public Economics (2015) Vol. 130, October, pp. 1-14.
- The Fragility of Deterrence in Conflicts, (with Philipp Denter) Journal of Theoretical Politics (2015) Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 43-57.
- (In)Efficient Public-Goods Provision Through Contests, (with Martin Kolmar) Social Choice and Welfare (2014) Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 239-259.
- Multiple-Prize Contests – The Optimal Allocation of Prizes, Journal of Economic Surveys (2009) Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 82-114.
- Peer Evaluation and Team Performance: An Experiment on Complex Problem Solving (with John Morgan and Susanne Neckermann) Updated: July 2020, new version coming soon
- Peer-to-Peer Information Sharing with Social Image Concerns – When Do Fake News Spread Faster? (with Philipp Denter) First draft coming soon
Work in Progress:
- Sharing Personal Data – Does Purpose Matter? (with Elbert Dijkgraaf, Emiel Maasland, Elric Tendron and Franziska Weber)
- Coalition Formation under Economic and Political Uncertainty (with Otto Swank)
- Ambiguity in Multiparty Electoral Competition (with Philipp Denter)
- Showing Off and Organizational Culture (with Henrik Orzen)
- Campaigning in Second-Order Elections (with Jori Korpershoek)